International Summit: Delivering Land Assembly - Day 1 Conference & Reception
country has unique challenges in the modern world. The successful
delivery of housing, modern services and infrastructure, regenerating city and
town centres, as well as business communities, all are common ambitions and in
every case, the acquisition of land and rights are the vital ingredients.
Each country and each
scheme also has a unique set of dilemmas with the potential to frustrate and
disable, and whilst no one country has the magic ingredients to overcome such
obstacles, we can learn and potentially find solutions from the global market
place. The key is to understand what solutions work in different jurisdictions,
and then consider whether the solutions can be readily applied elsewhere. This is how best practice evolves and matures and this event will
focus is on this worldwide. It will unquestionably be of value for
practitioners wherever they might be based.
Day 1 Conference & Evening Reception Package:
Note: All prices are to be paid in GBP and are subject to VAT at the prevailing rate
Please note: If you have not booked with us before, you need to register your details into the booking site by selecting 'Members' at the top right hand corner of this page, prior to booking your place.
Speakers Confirmed To Date...
Peter McCrea FRICS FCIArb, Surveyor Member, Upper Tribunal (Lands Chamber) Royal Courts of Justice
Meyric Lewis, Barrister, Francis Taylor Building
Gordon E. MacNair SR/WA AACI P.App, President, MacNair Consulting Ltd; Former International President of IRWA
Mark Gillard, Head of Land & Property, Head of Permits Asia Pacific, Ørsted
Paul Sanderson JP LLB (Hons) FRICS FIRRV, President, International Property Tax Institute
Richard Harwood OBE QC, Barrister, 39 Essex Chambers
Karen Hamilton, Partner, Brodies LLP
Fenella Collins BSc (Hons) MSc MRICS, Head of Planning, Country Land and Business Association Limited (CLA)
Rebecca Clutten, Barrister, Francis Taylor Building, CPA Chair
Rosanna Lawes, Executive Director of Development, London Legacy Development Corporation
Colin Cottage BSc (Hons) MRICS RICS Registered Valuer, Senior Director, Ardent
James Pereira QC, Barrister, Francis Taylor Building
Richard Guyatt, Partner, Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP
Sandy Grigg SR/WA, Infrastructure Real Estate Professional, D.A. Grigg Consulting; Former International President of IRWA
Philip Smith FRICS AACI PLE, Executive Vice President (Research, Valuation, Advisory), Altus Group Limited
John S. Doherty, Partner - Leader of the National Expropriation Law Group, Gowling WLG
Day 1 - Tuesday 24 March 2020
09.30 - 16.30
Acquiring Land and Rights For Public Projects - Compare and Contrast with North America and Elsewhere
Session Chair: Peter McCrea
Speakers: Meyric Lewis; Gordon MacNair; Mark Gillard
- Acquisition Processes and Procedures in the UK
- The compelling public test
- Compulsory Purchase Orders
- Development Consent Orders
- Transport and Works Orders
- Hybrid/Private Bills in Parliament
- Compensation provisions
- Other powers from around the globe
- What constitutes a "public use" project? The principle in Kelo v. City of New London
- The power of Quick Take
- Human Rights considerations in the US and UK
- Bailiff powers
- How the client often has conflicting objectives when it comes to acquiring land and rights
- How such objectives have different weighting in varying countries
Land Value Capture and Property Tax Burdens: The Grab of Land Value - The Good, The Bad and the Greedy
Session Chair: Paul Sanderson
Speakers: Richard Harwood OBE QC; Karen Hamilton; Fenella Collins
- Various LVC schemes around the world
- Making unviable schemes viable
- Does LVC work?
- Why LVC doesn't always work?
- Strengths, weaknesses, unintended consequences
- What are the success ingredients?
- Who should pay for the new infrastructure?
- Are developers and landowners already paying?
- Is LVC fair and equitable?
- Maximising the commercial value of the development
Project Review: 2012 London Olympics and East London Regeneration
Session Chair: Rebecca Clutten
Speakers: Rosanna Lawes; Colin Cottage; ; James Pereira QC
- Review of London 2012
- The remit, priorities, legacy
- Pushing the boundaries of best practice
- Stresses & strains and lessons to avoid on other major schemes
- Land Assembly: How did it go?
- Compensation: What can be done better?
Land Acquisition and Valuation Issues from a Canadian Perspective
Session Chair: Richard Guyatt
Speakers: Sandy Grigg; Philip Smith; John S. Doherty
- How the projects are funded and procured
- The typical land acquisition programme
- Working with institutional (and other types of) owners
- Land Value Capture in action
- The landowner's perspective - what does best practice look like?
- What could acquiring authorities do better?
- Lessons for the UK
18.30 - 20.30
Boat to the Palace of Westminster for the House of Lords Drinks Reception - Hosted by Lord Lytton