Land Value Capture and Property Tax Burdens: The Grab of Land Value - The Good, The Bad and the Greedy
Session 2 Chair: Paul Sanderson JP LLB (Hons) FRICS FIRRV, President, International Property Tax Institute
- Various LVC schemes around the world
- Making unviable schemes viable
- Does LVC work?
- Why LVC doesn't always work?
- Strengths, weaknesses, unintended consequences
- What are the success ingredients?
- Who should pay for the new infrastructure?
- Are developers and landowners already paying?
- Is LVC fair and equitable?
- Maximising the commercial value of the development
- UK LVC - The grab of land value - the good, the bad and the greedy
- UK LVC - Politics, lobbying and the development industry collide
- A landowners viewpoint
- LVC around the world
- LVC in action in the UK
Richard Harwood OBE QC, Barrister, 39 Essex Chambers
Karen Hamilton, Partner, Brodies LLP
Fenella Collins BSc (Hons) MSc MRICS, Head of Planning, Country Land and Business Association
Afternoon Sessions 14.15 - 16.45
Project Review: 2012 London Olympics and East London Regeneration
Session 3 Chair: Rebecca Clutten, Barrister, Francis Taylor Building; CPA Chair
- Review of London 2012
- The remit, priorities, legacy
- Pushing the boundaries of best practice
- Stresses & strains and lessons to avoid on other major schemes
- Land Assembly: How did it go?
- Compensation: What can be done better?
Rosanna Lawes, Executive Director of Development, London Legacy Development Corporation
Colin Cottage BSc (Hons) MRICS RICS Registered Valuer, Senior Director, Ardent
James Pereira QC, Barrister, Francis Taylor Building
Land Acquisition and Valuation Issues from a Canadian Perspective
Session 4 Chair: Richard Guyatt, Partner, Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP
- How the projects are funded and procured
- The typical land acquisition programme
- Working with institutional (and other types of) owners
- Land Value Capture in action
- The landowner's perspective - what does best practice look like?
- What could acquiring authorities do better?
- Lessons for the UK
Sandy Grigg SR/WA, Infrastructure Real Estate Professional, D.A. Grigg Consulting; Past President of IRWA
Philip Smith FRICS AACI PLE, Executive Vice President (Research, Valuation, Advisory), Altus Group Limited
John S Doherty, Partner - Leader of the National Expropriation Law Group, Gowling WLG
Hosted by Lord Lytton