Rating Matters: An Update on Practice Matters
A technical and practical rating briefing and review
of how to work within CCA.
|21 November 2018||Eversheds Sutherland LLP, Birmingham|
|27 November 2018||Eversheds Sutherland LLP, Leeds|
|4 December 2018||Eversheds Sutherland LLP, London|
Note: All prices are subject to VAT at the prevailing rate
We would like to thank Eversheds Sutherland LLP for the use of their facilities.
Has there been any other time in living memory when business rates has consistently been on the front pages of the national papers? Putting the party politics to one side, there is undoubted pressure on politicians, civil servants and agents alike to make the system work.
This programme isn’t about criticising the new system, or lobbying for reform, but instead is intended to form an objective review of where we are, to provide some guidance as to how stakeholders can demonstrate best practice in their dealings with the system as is and what effort is needed from the three main participants to make this system work for ratepayers.
Speakers Will Be From...
- Josh Myerson, Honorary Secretary, The Rating Surveyors' Association and Partner, Rating, Montagu Evans LLP
- Arren Thornton, Principal Associate, Eversheds Sutherland LLP
- Lee Anderson BSc (Hons) IRRV (Hons), Director of Operations & Development, Valuation Tribunal Service (VTS)
- Patrick Bond BSc FRICS Dip.Rating IRRV (Hons), Former Head of Rating Valuation at the Valuation Office Agency, Immediate Past President of The Rating Surveyors' Association
- Thomas Stratton, Senior Director, Business Rates, GVA
- Hugh Bower, Business Rates Director, GL Hearn Ltd
- Ryan Jones BSc (Hons) MRICS, Director, Business Rates, Avison Young
Evidence within the CCA process
- What evidence is needed?
- Is there ever enough?
- Can you submit further evidence in the CCA process?
- Impact of RICS rules on being an expert witness
- A seismic shift? The impact of Gardiner and Theobald v Jackson (VO)  UKUT 253 (LC) on fees arrangements.
- Weighting of evidence
A whistle stop tour of current issues
- VTE - Update on appeals and management
Regional practice management issues
- Regional presentations
- Question and answers related to local issues