Forfeiture of Leases - The Ultimate Reset for 2021
This course, by the
author of ‘A Practical Guide to Forfeiture of Leases’ outlines the procedures
and problems clearly and practically, and will be useful for anyone managing
|15 April 2021||Virtual Seminar|
Note: All prices are to be paid in GBP and are subject to VAT at the prevailing rate
As restrictions on landlords’ remedies are lifted, and commercial tenants have to deal with the mountain of arrears which has built up through the Covid-19 pandemic, landlords will inevitably be looking at forfeiture in many cases. It may be seen as the opportunity to remove the awkward tenant, or it may be the most effective sanction to enforce performance of tenant’s obligations. Either way, to get the best out of this remedy you need to be aware of the pitfalls and practicalities.
- Mark Shelton, Commercial Property Management Law Trainer, CPM Law Training Limited and Author of 'A Practical Guide to the Law of Dilapidations' and 'A Practical Guide to Applications for Landlords' Consent and Variation of Leases'
Topics covered will include:
- The pros and cons – what is the landlord trying to achieve?
- Acquiring and losing the right to forfeit – keeping all options open
- How forfeiture is done – is changing the locks ‘a sure recipe for violence’?
- Relief from forfeiture – a route through the complexities
- How soon after forfeiture can a landlord re-let the premises?