The 23rd National Rating Day
The National Rating Day is a major fixture in the Rating calendar. It is the largest gathering of rating practitioners year on year; and is a must attend event if you work within the profession. This recording looks at the here and now, policy and reform and best and effective practice. Speakers represent the private sector, the Valuation Office Agency and the Valuation Tribunal Service.
Module Duration: 6 hours 1 minutes
Date Recorded: 08/06/2023
Welcome & Introduction from the Conference Chair - Simon Griffin
Commercial Rating Policy Update
Next Steps into The New Rating World
- Reliefs, certificates, new build relief (dropped to 2024)
- Duty to Notify
Local Government Funding - Problems Facing Local Government
Group Question & Answer
Current Rating Practice
Appeals Good Practice
- What is required to make a lawful appeal?
- Who has the right to make an appeal?
- The expectations of the Valuation Tribunal and their practices statements
- The review of RICS guidance on being an expert witness
- Expectations of an expert witness and ethical behaviours
- The difference between an expert witness and advocate
- Hints and tips of good case management
MCCs - Where Are We Now?
- What constitutes an MCC?
- What does “locality” mean?
- What is an MCC in the context of the new rating lists?
Unit of Assessment – Life in a Post-Cardtronics World
End of List - What Can You Still Do?
- Tsunami conditions?
- Getting through the challenges
- When can evidence be admitted?
Fit Out - The Consequences on Other Classes
- Dawn Bunyan (VO) v Acenden Limited
- Is the London market different?
- London agreement, 2023 list
- Changes afoot? – Hybrid working, plug & play...
- Other asset classes and geographies
Case Law Update
- Simon Griffin, Rating Director, Jones Lang LaSalle; President, The Rating Surveyors' Association
- Nick Cooper, Business Rates Revaluation Team Leader, Local Taxation Division, Department of Levelling Up, Housing and Communities (DLUHC)
- Ben Crudge, Head of Local Tax Policy, Welsh Government
- Anouk Berthier, Head of Non-Domestic Rates Policy, Scottish Government
- Sharon Magee BSc MRICS Dip.Rating, Director of Rating Policy, Land & Property Services NI
- Liz Ratcliff MRICS, Policy & Business Change Director - NDR Reforms, Valuation Office Agency
- Tim Johnson BSc (Hons) MRICS, Senior Director, CBRE; Immediate Past President, The Rating Surveyors' Association
- Mike Heiser, Senior Policy Adviser, Local Government Association
- David Slater IRRV (Hons), Registrar & Chief Clerk, Valuation Tribunal for England
- Helen Zammit-Willson MRICS Dip.Rating IRRV (Hons), Director - National Valuation Unit, Valuation Office Agency
- Bjorn Bowles MSc MRICS Dip.Rating, Partner - Business Rates, Knight Frank LLP
- Rebecca Campbell, Partner - Real Estate Disputes, Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP
- Stuart Hicks FRICS Dip.Rating IRRV (Hons), Head of Rating, Dunlop Heywood
- Mandy Franklin MRICS Dip.Rating, Technical Adviser Litigation & Technical Policy Team, Valuation Office Agency
- Karl List BSc (Hons) MRICS Dip.Rating, Complex Appeals and Case Manager, Valuation Office Agency
- Josh Myerson FRICS Dip.Rating IRRV (Hons), Partner and Head of Rating, Montagu Evans LLP; Previous Past President, The Rating Surveyors' Association
- Alan Colston BSc (Hons) MRICS Dip.Rating, Chief Valuer, Valuation Office Agency
- Richard Williamson, National Head of Rating, GL Hearn Limited; Vice President, The Rating Surveyors' Association
- James Feltham BSc MRICS, Technical Adviser - Litigation and Technical Policy Team, Chief Valuer Group, Valuation Office Agency
- Krista Fieldhouse MA (Hons) MRICS, Partner, Gerald Eve LLP
- Dan Kolinsky KC, Barrister, Landmark Chambers