The Flat Over the Shop
This webinar disentangles the knottier problems, and deals with the practicalities of landlords’ remedies to enforce lease covenants, as well as how to structure the lettings to simplify matters.
Module Duration: 1 hour 4 minutes
How many shop-with-flat-above properties are there in the UK? Millions, surely, and the arrangement has obvious convenience for effective use of space, even where the flat is not occupied by the shopkeeper. For such a common set-up, though, it creates a surprising number of issues in relation to the rights of landlord and tenant, principally arising from the very different treatment which commercial and residential tenants receive under the law.
- Business tenancy or not? A surprisingly complicated issue
- Rights of first refusal
- A landlord’s right to use bailiffs – the implications of CRAR implementation
- Forfeiture with a residential element
- Optimising management through the lease structure
This course will be useful for management surveyors, but will also suit general practice surveyors, graduates and junior surveyors.
- Mark Shelton, Commercial Property Management Law Trainer, CPM Law Training Limited and Author of 'A Practical Guide to the Law of Dilapidations' and 'A Practical Guide to Applications for Landlords' Consent and Variation of Leases'