Understanding Commercial Property Management
The course is designed to ‘walk through’ a typical commercial lease – explaining the terminology, purpose and implications of each clause, and will demystify jargon, implementing an awareness of the wider commercial context needed to complement up-to-date technical knowledge. This day will be of particular benefit to property administrators, secretaries, accounts personnel, facilities managers, graduate surveyors on APC, and all staff who need a greater understanding of commercial property matters.
|16 May 2018||Village Hotel, Solihull|
|19 June 2018||Strand Palace Hotel, London||£260||BOOK|
Note: All prices are subject to VAT at the prevailing rate
As well as managing relations between investor and occupier, good communication with other professionals and contractors is essential. Being able to use current technical knowledge in a wide range of subjects, ensures issues can be anticipated and prevented if possible. Whichever of your many hats you have on: manager, adviser or negotiator - this programme will give you the relevant current awareness you need.
This course is able to give technical and support staff a sound understanding of commercial property leases, the basics of property law and the procedures that must be followed. The day is presented in a relaxed style, packed with relevant information, in an easily understandable format, covering examples and problem scenarios.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Understand the nature of a lease, by contrast with a licence to occupy, and identify different types of tenancy
- Become familiar with the business security of tenure regime in outline, and be able to recognise when occupation falls outside that regime
- Gain an understanding of the nature and meaning of repairing obligations under commercial leases, and methods of enforcement of those obligations
- Discuss the financial obligations of a lease (rent, service charge and VAT) and remedies available to landlords to enforce payment
- Discuss the other main commercial terms of a lease, including alienation and alterations
- Most stressful experience to date?
- When have you felt out of your depth?
- What has puzzled you?
- What is Commercial Property Management?
- How to make money for Commercial Property
- Types of tenancy
- A typical lease
- Full repairing & insuring lease
- Security of tenure – Landlord & Tenant Act 1954
- Paying rent
- Recovery of arrears
- Service charges
- Repairing responsibilities
- Leasehold Property (Repairs) Act 1938
- Restriction on assignment and subletting
- Restrictions on use
- Alterations and improvements
- Lease terminations and vacant property issues
- Waiver of right to forfeit
- Avoiding being trapped into accepting a surrender
- Break options
Question and Answer Session