Understanding Commercial Property Management
Commercial leases are the foundation and essence of property management. Anyone who works in this area needs to be familiar with what they say, what they mean, and how to work them. It will explain the key commercial terms of a commercial lease, and focus on the problems the attending delegates have encountered. The course is ideal for administrators who have not been trained in the nuances of property - also PA's, secretaries, accounts personnel, facilities managers, newly qualified and APC candidates and will run as two virtual sessions of approximately two and a half hours in length and will include comfort breaks.
|2 December 2021||2 Virtual Seminars (2 December & 9 December 2021)||£150||BOOK|
Note: All prices are to be paid in GBP and are subject to VAT at the prevailing rate
Understanding Commercial Property takes place on the following days:
- Session 1:Thursday 2 December 2021
- Session 2: Thursday 9 December 2021
It is vital that technical and support staff have a sound understanding of commercial property leases, the basics of property law, and the procedures that must be followed in order for such delegation to be successful.
The course running over two mornings is designed to ‘walk through’ a typical commercial lease – explaining the terminology, purpose and implications of each clause, and will demystify jargon.
- Understand the nature of a lease, by contrast with a licence to occupy, and identify different types of tenancy.
- Become familiar with the business security of tenure regime in outline, and be able to recognise when occupation falls outside that regime
- Gain an understanding of the nature and meaning of repairing obligations under commercial leases, and methods of enforcement of those obligations
- Discuss the financial obligations of a lease (rent, service charge and VAT) and remedies available to landlords to enforce payment
- Discuss the other main commercial terms of a lease, including alienation and alterations
- Mark Shelton, Commercial Property Management Law Trainer, CPM Law Training Limited and Author of 'A Practical Guide to the Law of Dilapidations' and 'A Practical Guide to Applications for Landlords' Consent and Variation of Leases'
SESSION 1 - THURSDAY 2 DECEMBER 2021
Welcome and Introduction
- What is Commercial Property Management?
- What are the aims?
- Types of tenancy
- A typical lease
- Full reporting and insuring lease
- Security of tenure - Landlord and Tenant Act 1954
- Recovery of rent arrears
- Service charges
SESSION 2 - THURSDAY 9 DECEMBER 2021
Welcome and Introduction
- Repairing responsibilities
- Leasehold Property (Repairs) Act 1938
- Restriction on assignment and subletting
- Restrictions on use
- Alterations and improvements
- Lease terminations and vacant property issues
- Waiver of right for forefit
- Avoiding being trapped into accepting a surrender
- Break options
- Most stressful experience to date?
- When have you felt out of your depth?
- What has puzzled you?