Check Challenge and Appeal – Brave New World or Cloud Cuckoo Land?
Check Challenge and Appeal (CCA) is the largest change to the appeals regime for non-domestic rates since the 1988 Local Government Finance Act, and potentially since the Crown stopped counting windows as a property tax.
Ratepayers’ advisors and in-house teams will need to become familiar with the CCA regulations.
|12 June 2017||Eversheds Sutherland, Birmingham|
|19 June 2017||Eversheds Sutherland, Manchester|
|17 July 2017||Eversheds Sutherland, London||£160||BOOK|
Note: All prices are subject to VAT at the prevailing rate
CCA is a massive step change in the way ratepayers and their advisors investigate, challenge and correct their rating assessments. It is also a huge shift in the way the VOA engages and interacts with the ratepayers and their advisors.
There is a fear that ratepayers and their advisors will not be able to follow the procedures and timetable to successfully challenge their assessments. From 1 April 2017, there will be no opportunity to lodge a proposal for £1 and then collect evidence in time for the VT hearing – valuation and comparable evidence is required upfront and it will be difficult to include new evidence later.
CCA is for the 2017 Rating List; but appeals relating to the 2010 List also have revised procedures.
This practical and solution focused seminar is essential for practitioners who advise on rating; particularly those that don’t do rating work exclusively.
- Blake Penfold, Business Rates Consultant, GL Hearn Ltd
- Josh Myerson, Partner, Rating, Montagu Evans LLP
- Jon Bestow, Registrar & Clerk, Valuation Tribunal Service (VTS)
- Richard New BA (Hons), Partner, Eversheds Sutherland
- Alex Wright, Associate, Eversheds Sutherland
- Natalie Minott, Principal Associate, Eversheds Sutherland
- Andrew Hetherton MRICS IRRV (Hons) Cert Ed, Director and Head of Business Rates, GL Hearn Ltd, Chairman of the IRRV Valuers Association and IRRV Council Member Past President of the RSA
- Arren Thornton, Principal Associate, Eversheds Sutherland
Introduction and Scene Setting
The new VOA Government Gateway web portal
Changes to the 2010 Appeals Process