The ability to carry out alterations can be of crucial importance to occupiers, while for landlords the ability to control the physical shape of their investment may have significant impact on value. The statutory regimes governing this area of law are not as well-known as they should be, and an well-informed surveyor is in a position to add value and stand out from the crowd. This module gives a full overview of the applicable law.
- How to apply for consent
- What is reasonable and what is not?
- Responding to a request for consent – the options
- Landlords’ and tenants’ enforcement options
- Should a landlord elect to carry out improvements itself?
- How can historic alterations give the tenant an extra negotiating chip at lease expiry?