Rating Question Time Leeds 2018
We have a panel of leading practitioners to answer questions from the audience on a number of topical rating issues. Robert Brown will be chairing the event.
|27 February 2018||Eversheds Sutherland LLP, Leeds|
Note: All prices are subject to VAT at the prevailing rate
The event will be followed by a drinks reception to give time for valuable networking
CPT Events would like to thank Eversheds Sutherland LLP for the use of their facilities.
This will be our fifth rating question time in Leeds. All rating question times elicit many questions and debate and the events are both humorous and informative. You get the chance to quiz senior VOA staff and ask questions of leading practitioners. Members of the audience will be invited to contribute comments and join in discussion during the meeting.
Whether you have a question or not, there will be questions and a stimulating debate. Join us for question time and the drinks reception that completes the evening.
- Robert Brown BSc FRICS FIRRV, Past President, The Rating Surveyors' Association
- Patrick Bond BSc FRICS Dip.Rating IRRV (Hons), Past President, The Rating Surveyors' Association
- David Grace BSc (Hons) MRICS, Head of Industrial and Crown, National Specialists Unit, Valuation Office Agency
- Tom Emlyn Jones BSc MRICS, President; The Rating Surveyors' Association, Director, Jones Norris Adams Chartered Surveyors,
- Andrew Hetherton MRICS IRRV (Hons) Cert Ed, Director, Andrew Hetherton Consulting Ltd, IRRV Council Member and Junior Vice President
- Lee Anderson BSc (Hons) IRRV (Hons), Director of Operations & Development, Valuation Tribunal Service (VTS)
The audience will pose the questions and they are to be submitted in advance.
Some questions recently asked at the London event:
Appeals & CCA
- CCA. Is it time to call the whole thing off?
- Can companies based outside the UK register for CCA, because the registration process needs a UK National Insurance number? If so, how do they do this?
- When will clients be able to upload property details in bulk so as to automate the “claiming” process?
- My client has 30 funds, each of which owns a property or properties. Does each fund have to register for CCA or can my client make a single registration? If each fund has to register, how do they do this, as the funds have no employees.
- How many 2017 rating list appeals has the VTE received under CCA?
- I attended a VTE hearing recently where two unrepresented ratepayers, whose cases were heard before mine, had their appeals struck out for failure to comply with the VTE’s Standard Directions. When my case was heard I asked that the VO be barred for failing to comply with the VTE Standard Directions, but my request was refused. Are we operating on a level playing field?
- Has the VOA been studying the “occupier-assisted” method of self-assessment being undertaken in Ireland?
- We appear to be moving firmly in the direction of self-assessment, perhaps as early as 2022. What do the panel consider to be the main challenges and are there any benefits?
- Are DCLG and VOA planning to accept the recommendations of the Barclay Review for introduction in England? If not, why not?