Rating - Talking Heads - Inaugural Meeting
Assessment: What’s the knock on from the Supreme Court ATM decision?
A significant part of being a rating surveyor is about networking and staying informed; and applying technical knowledge to real problems. There were luncheons that fulfilled the networking for some members of the profession and events that did likewise for others, but COVID has stopped all. A solution is now at hand. CPT introduce the new monthly 'Rating - Talking Heads'
|13 January 2021||Virtual Monthly Discussion|
Note: All prices are to be paid in GBP and are subject to VAT at the prevailing rate
Note: This event has been re-scheduled from 16 December 2020
CPT virtual communications will curate a small panel of leading and informed practitioners, who will, once a month, discuss topical or contentious issues over a lunchtime. These panellists will extract the nuances from the subject, and discuss practical issues that arise, with participants in the meeting being encouraged to ask questions and share their comments.
Unit of Assessment:
What's the knock on from the Supreme Court ATM decision?
- Can the decision be applied to serviced offices, hospitals, markets, self-storage units, or to retail beyond the “barrier-line” (in airports, stations and in clubs)?
- How to know when the decision applies – what level of “control” is needed?
- Where the Supreme Court decision applies, is this reflected in the valuation of the host property? Should it be?
- Should the VOA be imposing a higher valuation on the host?
- Practical consequences – how to alter rating lists?
The meeting itself will run as an informal discussion, not a webinar and without a slide presentation. It's about talking, networking and engaging with fellow practitioners, but equally you can just simply sit and listen. It's like a luncheon meeting, without the lunch!
January's Talking Heads
- Blake Penfold BSc FRICS MCIArb, Business Rates Consultant, Blake Penfold Consultancy
- Josh Myerson FRICS Dip.Rating IRRV (Hons), Partner and Head of Rating, Montagu Evans LLP; President, The Rating Surveyors' Association
- Tim Johnson BSc (Hons) MRICS, Senior Director, CBRE, Vice President, The Rating Surveyors' Association