Rating Talking Heads: April
Rating Valuation of Tenant’s Improvements and Fit-Out
This event runs as an informal discussion with a small panel of leading and informed practitioners extracting the nuances from the monthly topic. They discuss practical issues that arise, with participants in the meeting being encouraged to listen, join in, ask questions and share comments.
Module Duration: 1 hour 1 minute
Please note there are no slides accompanying this recording.
A topic that has regularly proved vexatious to Valuation Officers and private practitioners alike; we look at the issues both historic and current.
- Underlying case law, old and new
- Application to retail hereditaments
- Application to office hereditaments
- Identifying what is rateable?
- Valuing what is rateable?
- Valuation methodology
- Regional variation
- Age and obsolescence
- Post Covid market changes
In trying to make sense of the above, a number of questions arise which we will attempt to tackle:
- If rating reflects the market when should valuing to the rating hypothesis take precedence?
- How does one assess value to the occupier?
- Is compromise an outdated concept?
April's Talking Heads
- Tim Johnson BSc (Hons) MRICS, Senior Director, CBRE, Vice President, The Rating Surveyors' Association
- Blake Penfold BSc FRICS MCIArb, Business Rates Consultant, Blake Penfold Consultancy
- Josh Myerson FRICS Dip.Rating IRRV (Hons), Partner and Head of Rating, Montagu Evans LLP; President, The Rating Surveyors' Association
- Karl List BSc (Hons) MRICS Dip.Rating, Complex Appeals and Case Manager, Valuation Office Agency