CPA Scotland National Conference 2021: Morning Sessions
Morning Session Duration: 2 hours 20 minutes
Welcome and Introduction from the SCPA Chair - Keith Petrie
Keynote Address - Mr Tom Arthur MSP, The Scottish Minister for Public Finance, Planning and Community Wealth
Scottish Government Update
An update on the Scottish Government’s commitment, contained in the Programme for Government 2021-22, to: “reform and modernise the compulsory purchase system in Scotland, making it clearer, fairer and faster for all parties”
- There is significant political will to accelerate and use the compulsory purchase process in order to deliver more infrastructure projects in Scotland. While there is an opportunity to make the process simpler, fairer, quicker and more cost effective without requiring primary legislation, it requires changing approaches.
- What are the approaches?
- What are the benefits?
- How do we get both Acquiring Authorities and the affected property owners to positively engage?
ADR for Disputed Compensation Claims
- There is a number of options to resolve disputes
- RICS is to be introducing an ADR option for disputed compensation claims
- What is this option and will it work effectively in Scotland?
- How will such a scheme sit relative to the Lands Tribunal for Scotland
- Keith Petrie, CPA Scotland Chair, Consultant, FG Burnett
- Tom Arthur, The Scottish Minister for Public Finance - Planning and Community Wealth
- Tom Winter, Scottish Government
- Archie Rintoul, Past CPA Scotland Chair, RICS Scotland
- Karen Hamilton, Partner, Brodies LLP
- Dougie Bowers, Principal Surveyor and Sector Leader/Office Head, Valuation Office Agency