The 18th National Rating Day
The 2017 Revaluation has taken place. But it is not business as usual. Check Challenge Appeal is with us, and has created a very different landscape; one which is evolving; and promises to be very different to that launched in April 2017. Government tinkered at the budget, but it is now time to work with the evolving system. If you work in rating, this is your must attend event of the year.
|7 June 2018||Congress Centre, London||£280||BOOK|
Note: All prices are subject to VAT at the prevailing rate
The National Rating Day has become a tradition in the rating world where practitioners attend to be updated on current topics, network and contribute to help shape changes for the future. Speakers represent the private sector, the Valuation Office Agency and the Valuation Tribunal Service.
The conference is always popular – attracting over 300 practitioners. If you are involved in rating work, this is the event that is said to be too important to miss.
Confirmed Speakers To Date
- Tom Emlyn Jones BSc MRICS, Director, Jones Norris Adams Chartered Surveyors, Vice President; The Rating Surveyors' Association
- Nick Cooper, Business Rates Revaluation Team Leader, Local Taxation Division, DHCLG - Ministry for Housing, Communities and Local Government
- Andrew West MRICS IRRV (Hons), Director, Cooke & Arkwright
- Ken McCormack MRICS IRRV (Hons), Partner Scotland Rating, Montagu Evans LLP
- Mary Hardman IRRV (Hons) FRICS, Chief Valuer, Valuation Office Agency
- Hugh Bower, Business Rates Director, GL Hearn Ltd
- Lee Anderson BSc (Hons) IRRV (Hons), Director of Operations & Development, Valuation Tribunal Service (VTS)
- Blake Penfold, Business Rates Consultant, Blake Penfold Consultancy
- Michael Pearce, Head of Litigation & Technical Policy, National Specialists Unit, Chief Valuer Group, Valuation Office Agency
- Alan Colston BSc (Hons) MRICS MCMI Dip.Rating, Director of National Specialist Unit, Valuation Office Agency
- Josh Myerson, Partner, Rating, Montagu Evans LLP
- Andrew Hetherton MRICS IRRV (Hons) Cert Ed, Director, Andrew Hetherton Consulting Ltd, Chairman of the IRRV Valuers Association
- Dan Kolinsky QC, Barrister, Landmark Chambers
The Government Policy Update
A Policy Review of What’s Happening Through the UK
- Devolving Business Rates: harmonisation or otherwise
- Its impact and significance on England
- Speaker brief – compare and contrast
- Barclay Review in Scotland - implementation
- Changes to business rates appeals in Wales?
- Welsh Government’s response to consultation
- Divergence from CCA
- NNDR in Wales
- Barclay Group review and recommendations to Scottish Government
- Which recommendations have been accepted?
- How will they be implemented and when?
CCA – Case Handling Update
- What changes have been made to registration process
- Claiming properties – uploading multiple properties
- Check stage procedures
- Challenge stage procedures
- Appeal stage procedures
- Future planned
Effects of CCA for Practitioners
- Position of MCCs - material day difficulties
- Options where material day may be lost
- Is Brexit an MCC event
- What does “tone of the list” mean under CCA
- Significance of the “check”
- Challenges and what they involve
- Adding evidence later – is it possible?
Group Pre Challenge Reviews
- How does it work?
- Input from the professions
- User class expandability
- G7, the City of London
- Can ratepayers control the timetable?
Woolway v Mazars - The Proposed Legislative Amendments
- The consultation
- What does the draft legislation say?
- What changes can be made to the 2010 List?
Three Yearly Revaluations and Provision of Information by Ratepayers
- Changes announced in the Autumn Budget 2017
- Consultation on more frequent revaluations
- Changes to the rules and requirements on disclosure
- Provision of
information by ratepayers – what, when and to whom
Case Law Updates