The 19th National Rating Day
The National Rating Day has become a tradition in the rating world where practitioners attend to be updated on current topics, network and contribute to help shape changes for the future. Speakers represent the private sector, the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) and the Valuation Tribunal Service (VTS).
The conference is always popular – attracting over 300 practitioners. If you are involved in rating work, this is the event that is too important to miss.
|13 June 2019||Congress Centre, London||£280||BOOK|
Note: All prices are subject to VAT at the prevailing rate
The Rating system is at a
uniquely challenging time in 2019. This year is the Antecedent Valuation Date
for the next revaluation in England and Wales, which means that work starts on
valuing nearly two million non-domestic properties for the 2021 revaluation.
But, at the same time, ratepayers and their agents are trying to get to grips with checks, challenges and appeals for the 2017 Rating List, and the 2010 Rating List has been reopened to new proposals, in limited circumstances, to reverse the effects of the Supreme Court decision in Woolway (VO) v Mazars LLP.
Ratepayers, agents and the VOA are having to consider three different rating lists at the same time. Added to this, some important Court and Tribunal decisions will have a significant influence on remaining outstanding 2010 Rating List appeals.
More than ever there is need for a comprehensive update on all these different strands of the rating system; and the National Rating Day programme will provide this.
Speakers Confirmed To Date...
- Thomas Stratton, Senior Director, Business Rates, GVA
- The Honourable Mr Justice Holgate, President, Upper Tribunal Lands Chamber
- Nick Cooper, Business Rates Revaluation Team Leader, Local Taxation Division, MHCLG
- John Sigler, Head of Property, River Island
- Dr Jonathan Carr-West, Chief Executive, Local Government Information Unit (LGiU)
- Tim Johnson, Senior Director, Property Tax Group & Rating, CBRE Ltd
- Hugh Bower, Business Rates Director, GL Hearn Ltd
- Lee Anderson BSc (Hons) IRRV (Hons), Director of Operations & Development, Valuation Tribunal Service (VTS)
- Alan Colston BSc (Hons) MRICS MCMI Dip.Rating, Director of National Specialist Unit, Valuation Office Agency
- Josh Myerson, Honorary Secretary, The Rating Surveyors' Association, Partner - Rating, Montagu Evans LLP
- Blake Penfold BSc FRICS MCIArb, Business Rates Consultant, Blake Penfold Consultancy
- Dan Kolinsky QC, Barrister, Landmark Chambers
Confirmed To Date - Please be aware sessions will be added/amended as sessions get finalised
Welcome and Introduction by Conference Chairman - Thomas Stratton
Expectations from the UT Bench
The Government Policy Update
A Business Call on Business Rates
The Purpose of Rates: Funding Local Government
The Practicalities of CCA
Question & Answer Session
- Experiences of the 2017 process
- Procedures and approaches under the 2017 list processes
AVD Review, Frequency of Revaluations - 2021 and Beyond
- VOA R2021 update
- Frequency of revaluations - challenges and opportunities
- VOA preparations, resoucing and timescales
Preparing for 2021: A Private Practice Perspective
- External perception of the market at AVD
- Managaing tenders
- Engagement with clients
- Dealing with CVAs and Brexit
Case Law Update
- Cases from the battlefield