The 21st National Rating Day: Session 2
The National Rating Day has come of age – 21 years in the making. The 2021 event will continue to look at the here and now, policy and reform; and best and effective practice. In the final session, we have sessions covering: 2017 List Material Change of Circumstances and COVID, Liabilities and Mitigation of Empty Rates.
Module Duration: 2 hours 39 minutes
Welcome & Introduction from the Conference Chair - Tim Johnson
2017 List Material Change of Circumstances and Covid
- What does the Bill say?
- “no account is to be taken of any matter (whether arising before or after the passing of this Act) that is directly or indirectly attributable to coronavirus” except for specified circumstances.” Does that mean all COVID MCCs are holed below the waterline?
- Revoking the current SI – what will that mean?
- The conflict between the 2017 and 2023 Lists
- The annual budget statements from March 2021
- Rate holidays
- Multipliers and Transition
Mitigation of Empty Rates
- Hurstwood Properties (A) Ltd and others (Respondents) v Rossendale Borough Council has been handed down
- Other key court decisions
- How will this now dictate mitigation strategies deployed by ratepayers and their advisors?
- Tim Johnson BSc (Hons) MRICS, Senior Director, CBRE, Vice President, The Rating Surveyors' Association
- Helen Zammit-Willson MRICS Dip.Rating IRRV (Hons), Director - National Valuation Unit, Valuation Office Agency
- Michael Pearce, Head of Litigation & Technical Policy, National Specialists Unit, Chief Valuer Group, Valuation Office Agency
- Blake Penfold BSc FRICS MCIArb, Business Rates Consultant, Blake Penfold Consultancy
- Roger Cohen, Senior Counsel, Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP, London
- Alistair Townsend, Principal, Alistair Townsend, Consultant, Wilks Head & Eve
- Victoria Boateng, Partner - Head of Landlord Rating, Montagu Evans LLP