The Rating Diploma Holders' Conference 2021
Revaluation After the Pandemic
The 27th Annual Conference will examine the current issues, facing the modern rating practitioner. The 2021 Conference of the Rating Diploma Holders' Section of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, is open to both members and non-members alike.
|16 September 2021||Loughborough University, Loughborough||£195||BOOK|
Note: All prices are to be paid in GBP and are subject to VAT at the prevailing rate
This event is being managed by CPT Events for the Rating Diploma Holders Section.
Booking Note for Dip Rating Holders: If you have not booked with us before, you need to register your details into the booking site by selecting 'Members' at the top right hand corner of this page, prior to booking your place. Discount codes need to be added during the booking process, followed by selecting 'invoice' to complete your booking.
The conference will focus on topics of especial interest to rating practitioners at the present time – Revaluation in a Pandemic; Valuation of Composite Hereditaments; What an Over-Trader looks like; Rebus Sic Stantibus; the Government's View on Rating and, of course, Duncan McLaren’s review of recent rating cases. All sessions will be introduced and led by the Chair of the RICS Rating Diploma Holders' Section 2020- 2021, Helen Zammit-Willson.
The Diploma Conference has become well known for its in-depth analysis of current practical rating problems.
- Helen Zammit-Willson MRICS Dip.Rating IRRV (Hons), Director - National Valuation Unit, Valuation Office Agency
- Alan Colston BSc (Hons) MRICS Dip.Rating, Chief Valuer, Valuation Office Agency
- Stuart Hicks BSc (Hons) FRICS Dip.Rating IRRV (Hons), Director, Dunlop Heywood
- Karl List BSc (Hons) MRICS Dip.Rating, Complex Appeals and Case Manager, Valuation Office Agency
- Bjorn Bowles MSc MRICS Dip.Rating, Partner, Knight Frank
- Wayne Cox MRICS Dip.Rating, Head of Licensed and Leisure, Valuation Office Agency
- Patrick Bond BSc FRICS Dip.Rating IRRV (Hons), Visiting Lecturer, City University Business School
- Josh Myerson FRICS Dip.Rating IRRV (Hons), Partner and Head of Rating, Montagu Evans LLP; President, The Rating Surveyors' Association
- Duncan McLaren MBE MRICS Dip.Rating, Technical Advisor, Valuation Office Agency
Welcome & Introduction From The Rating Diploma Holders' Section Chair - Helen Zammit-Willson
Revaluation in a Pandemic - Alan Colston and Stuart Hicks
- The AVD world - the AVD was 1 April 2021 during lockdown
- What does Sch 6 para 2(7) tell us, including the recent amendments?
- Use of trends and previous revaluations
Question & Answer Session
The Valuation of Composite Hereditaments - Karl List and Bjorn Bowles
- What are Composite Hereditaments?
- Does it matter?
- Approaching the valuation
- The Guardians' case
What Does an Over-Trader Look Like? - Wayne Cox
- What does the Guidance advise?
- What do the Courts tell us?
- Overtrading - differing approaches in the jurisdictions
- The public house and the jolly landlord
- The Wetherspoons City case
Rebus Sic Stantibus - Patrick Bond
- A shop, as a shop etc.
- Is it the Principle of Reality?
- Hereditament and Locality
- Frozen state
- Are the Tribunals getting it right?
The Government's Review of Rating - Josh Myerson
- What is likely?
- Where are we now?
- Green agenda - P&M
- Thoughts on development
Recent Cases on Rating - Duncan McLaren MBE
- The traditional and jolly popular examination of recent Supreme Court, Court of Appeal, Upper Tribunal (Lands Chambers), Valuation Tribunal, Scottish and Irish cases from a valuer's perspective